Bed Bugs Vancouver Info & Protection
The good news (if you can call it that) is that bedbugs are not dangerous, and they never spread diseases but the thought of finding bed bugs in Vancouver hotels, motels or even your own home can still be disturbing. Green Valley Pest Control, Vancouver BC has provided the following information about how to find and remove bedbug from your home. Whether you are staying in a Vancouver hotel or want to prevent bed bug infestations in your home, call us immediately. We aim to provide quality bed bug control Vancouver by using smart prevention and effective bed bug control methods.
Since 1991, our local Vancouver exterminators have been practicing environment-friendly and effective control and removal techniques for bed bugs. Our bed bug inspections and heat treatments offered to residents throughout the Greater Vancouver area are 100% guaranteed. Continue reading or contact us today for gathering information about how to eliminate future bedbug infestations in your Vancouver, Surrey, or other Vancouver Lower Mainland residence.
Quick Bed Bug Facts
The most commonly asked question about bed bugs is “How do you get rid of bedbugs?”
Most often bed bugs moves one space to another by clinging to clothing, luggage, furniture, or bedding. Once bed bugs have been brought into your home, there are several bed bug facts you should know:
- The average bedbug life span is about 10 months.
- Bedbugs live or hide close to where humans sleep
- Bedbugs survive off human blood and typically feed for 3 to 15 minutes.
- If disturbed, they can start a second “blood meal” causing multiple bedbug bites.
- Bedbugs can survive weeks to months without feeding by becoming inactive.
How do you know if you have bed bugs?
To find bedbugs in your home look for unexplained bite marks on your skin, black or dark red spots on your bed sheets and mattress and bed bug skin shedding. If your bed bug infestation is severe, you may also notice a musty or sweet odour.
Another trick to identifying bed bugs is to put double sided tape around your sleeping quarters, including the legs of the bed frame. This usually traps bed bugs for identification; information that your bed bug exterminator will need. If you are unsure whether you have a bed bug problem, call Green Valley Pest Control at 1-604-685-4344. Green Valley can schedule a free bed bug inspection. Our friendly technician will visit your home in an unmarked service vehicle and prescribe an effective bed bug control program if needed.
Common Bed Bug Symptoms
Because bed bugs feed off of human blood, people sleeping in an infested home or in a hotel with bed bugs will most likely experience some bed bug bites. Some people do not have any reaction or negative side effects to these bed bug bites, while others can get intense bed bug rashes that are itchy and red. The initial bed bug bite is painless, but after a few days the wound can become itchy and prone to infection. Most people, even if they do not experience negative side effects from a bed bug bite, often experience anxiety and distress because of being invaded by bed bugs.
Bed Bugs in Vancouver Hotels
Recently, bedbugs in Vancouver hotels and bedbugs in hotels across Canada and the United States have been a hot topic. The recent spread in infestation and awareness towards this topic is causing many to double check for bed bugs in hotels while travelling. If you are staying in a hotel in the future, there are several tips you can follow to prevent carrying the infestation back home with you:
- Check your room thoroughly for bedbugs. Know what bed bugs look like and check all the common places bed bugs hide including beds, near beds, bedroom furniture and in tufts, folds and seams of mattresses. Bed bugs can also hide behind the headboard, baseboards, windows and door casings and loosened wallpaper.
- Change rooms. If you notice bed bugs, request a different room right away or consider staying at a different hotel.
- Protect your luggage. Since bed bugs can live in the carpet, we highly recommend placing your luggage in the bathroom while you check the room. Even if you don’t find bed bugs, you can take extra precaution by covering your bags or using luggage racks.
- Avoid placing objects on the floor and bed. Be sure to keep everything off the bed and carpet, including clothing, jackets, and hats.
- Treat items when you return home. When you return home, treat your luggage and clothing with a steamer or by washing, or by freezing.
Bed Bugs Registry Vancouver
A great resource for people living in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland is the BedBugs Registry.
The BedBug Registry is an online database where the public submits bedbug reports from across Canada and the United States. Since 2006, renters and travellers have used the registry to report bedbugs in hotels, dorms, hospitals, movie theatres, libraries and other public locations. As of January 11, 2013, there are 1,944 report cases of bedbugs in Vancouver. Besides submitting your own report you can also look up reports for bedbugs in Vancouver hotels or bedbugs in Vancouver apartments before you make any reservations or sign any lease agreements.
Bed Bug Prevention – How to Protect Yourself Against Bed Bugs
There are several precautions you can take to prevent carrying bed bugs into your home:
- Check any second-hand goods purchases for bed bugs. Make sure to wash and dry (at least 20 minutes on high heat), freeze or steam items to be sure.
- Use the online Bed Bug Registry to check into local hotels before booking and always check your hotel room for bed bug infestation.
- Avoid homes with known bed bug infestations until the space has been properly treated.
- Rips and tears in your mattress provide more opportunity for bed bugs to hide.
Bed Bug Apartment Prevention
If you live in a Vancouver apartment building, be sure to notify your landlord or strata as soon as you notice bed bugs. Bed bugs are fast moving and can move between apartment units. The sooner an infestation in a multi-tenant building is treated the better. If you rent your apartment, condo or home, it is the landlord’s responsibility to take care of the bed bug problem. Tenants must allow bed bug exterminators such as Green Valley into their home and should follow all bed bug control tips and guidelines in Vancouver.
Bed Bug Treatment in Vancouver – Green Valley Pest Control
As most people come to learn, bedbug control in Vancouver is not a simple DIY project to handle on your own. If you suspect a bed bug infestation in your home or have questions about bed bug prevention, it is best to contact a Green Valley Pest Control professional right away. The longer you wait, the more the bed bug problem can grow out of control. Green Valley also provides bed bug inspection dogs. Our experts train these dogs to use their ultra sensitive sense of smell to detect bedbugs and their eggs with phenomenal accuracy. To find and eliminate bedbugs in a more accurate way, we use both bedbug inspection dogs and human inspection. At Green Valley Pest Control, we have the experience, tools and natural organic pest control abilities to treat Vancouver bed bug infestations in your home, hotel, or apartment. Contact us today for a free on-site bed bug control inspection, diagnosis, and quote!